As sofas go, a sleeper sofa may be the most functional furniture purchase you can make. Sleeper sofas tend to be practical purchases more than emotional ones, but they don’t have to be. As a practical purchase, sleeper sofas do fill certain furniture needs…
- When your place has space limitations, adding a sleeper in the living room lets you have a place for guests to sleep.
- Adding a sleeper sofa to a spare room automatically turns it into a guest room when needed.
- For grown children just getting out on their own, a sleeper sofa is a great gift as a first furniture piece they can use for your visits, or as their own bed if their first apartment is a small one.
To make the emotional connection to the furniture you purchase, however, it also needs to fit your style. Too often, homeowners make the mistake of choosing function over form when it comes to sleeper sofas. But at Pedersen’s we stock designer sleeper sofas from manufacturers like Flexsteel, Century, and the MT Company that not only function beautifully, they also provide a stylish focal point from which you can design a room around. We don’t believe you should settle for a practical piece of furniture when you can also fall in love with its design.
Now that you know you can make an emotional connection with the sleeper sofas we carry, what more do you need to consider? The best tips we can offer are Test and Measure.
When shopping for a sleeper sofa, as with any purchase, try before you buy:
- Does the sleep sofa open and close easily?
Test the mechanics of the sleeper sofa you want to buy: it should operate smoothly and not be too heavy for you to lift to open. If there’s a tilt feature, test that as well.
- How big are the cushions? You’ll need to stash the cushions and pillows when the sleeper sofa is in use.
- How comfortable is the mattress? Try out the mattress for yourself. Sleeper sofas typically come with innerspring or air bed mattresses. Try out the mattress as if you will use it yourself–if you are comfortable, chances are your guests will be, too.
You need to consider any space restrictions you have before you purchase a new sleeper sofa? Measure the room or the area of the room where the sleeper sofa will be placed, and know how much room you have when the sofa is open.
- A twin-size mattress sleeper sofa is approximately 39 inches wide, so practically speaking it’s a sleeper chair.
Fully open, a twin sleeper sofa will be about 54 inches wide and 84 inches in length. These sleepers are less practical as a purchase for adult guests as they sleep only one, so consider using one only when space restrictions dictate, or for a child’s room for sleepovers with friends. Seating-wise, a twin sleeper is akin to most large sitting chairs.
- The mattress for a full-size sleeper is approximately 72 inches wide and up to 90 inches long when fully open.
For Airbnb use or for occasional guests, a full-size sleeper can sleep two comfortably, but are not ideal for everyday use. For seating, a full-size sleeper is a little bigger than a love seat in size and seats two adults comfortably.
- A queen-size mattress is approximately 84 inches wide and up to 90 inches long when open.
Because queen-size sleeper sofas are the most widely used type of sleeper sofa you will be find it easier to shop for different styles, upholstery, fabrics, and mattress types. So if space is not an issue and you want more options for a sleeper sofa that fits your style, purchase of a queen-size sleeper sofa is the best investment for design and functionality. These sleeper sofas also easily seat three adults and when open, will be most comfortable for sleeping two people.